The Commerce Commission promotes dynamic and responsive markets so that New Zealanders benefit from competitive prices, better quality and greater choice.
- Fair Trading Act:
- Misleading and false representations/conduct
- Misleading advertising
- Trade practices breaches
- Credit Contracts and Consumer Finance Act:
- Credit and lending
- Banks, credit unions, lenders, credit providers, pawnbrokers
- Consumer credit, consumer leases and property buy-back transactions
- Personal loans, mortgages, overdrafts, credit cards, vehicle loans, revolving credit.
The Commission also has a regulatory role in the telecommunications sector, the dairy sector, and parts of the electricity, gas and airports sectors.
Please note that we are not a complaints resolution service. We do not take action on behalf of individuals, but act in the public interest, using screening criteria to prioritise and select cases.
We do not enforce the Consumer Guarantees Act which deals with your rights when you buy faulty goods or services.
For further information: